Director Intellectual Property
Umicore is a global materials technology and recycling group. It focuses on application areas where its expertise in materials science, chemistry and metallurgy makes a real difference. Its activities are organised in three business groups: Catalysis, Energy & Surface Technologies and Recycling. Each business group is divided into market-focused business units offering materials and solutions that are at the cutting edge of new technological developments and essential to everyday life.
Umicore generates the majority of its revenues and dedicates most of its R&D efforts to clean technologies, such as emission control catalysts, materials for rechargeable batteries and recycling. Umicore’s overriding goal of sustainable value creation is based on an ambition to develop, produce and recycle materials in a way that fulfils its mission: materials for a better life.
The Umicore Group has industrial operations on all continents and serves a global customer base; it generated a turnover of € 11.1 billion (€ 2.7 billion excluding metal) in 2016 and currently employs 9,900 people.
Umicore is pursuing strong technology focused innovation and it is the key role of Intellectual Property to safeguard that the value of our innovations is translated into valuable business. As to this purpose, we are looking for a Director Intellectual Property for our Corporate Intellectual Property Management Team located in Olen (Belgium) and Hanau (Germany). In this function, you will report to the Senior Vice President of Group Research & Development.
We are looking for a Director Intellectual Property for our Corporate Intellectual Property Management team located in Olen (Belgium) and Hanau (Germany).
Purpose of the function
- You are responsible for the strategic and pro-active IP management across the Umicore Group.
- You understand the priorities of the Business Units and stimulate business value creation out of IP.
- You develop the IP organization in Umicore and the IP expert team to effectively and efficiently support this business value creation target.
- You hierarchically lead the IP expert team consisting of patent attorneys, patent search specialists, a manager inventors remuneration and a paralegal team (total 18 employees in Belgium + Germany).
- You stimulate the experts in the IP team to continuously educate themselves in the field of IP and in their personal development.
- You develop and maintain contacts with your peers in the Industry to keep pace with the latest development in the area of IP management.
- You are responsible for the alignment of inventors remuneration with international law and you supervise a consistent execution.
- You are responsible for the Intellectual Asset protection policy of Umicore Group
- You are responsible to lead and execute the IP part of M&A processes.
- You have an Engineering or Science degree (technical college or university) or equivalent.
- You are fluent in English (written and spoken), knowledge of German and/or Dutch is an plus.
- You have experience as Business leader or have been part of multi-functional Business teams, and have been involved in business value creation out of Intellectual Property.
- You have a sound knowledge on the mechanics and terminology of IP related processes such as patent filing, prosecution, invalidation, enforcement etc.
- You have experience with the tactics behind developing an IP portfolio.
- Having experience with improving efficiency and effectiveness of (IP related) processes is an asset.
- You have strong leadership and people management skills, both hierarchically and in multi-functional matrix organizations.
- You have excellent negotiation skills to coordinate the decision making process in a multi-stakeholder approach.
- You are a team player, result driven and decisive.