Director Global Safety, Automotive Catalysts
Germany - Hanau
Posted on 18-08-2023
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global circular materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Automotive Catalysts
We all have the right to breathe clean air, and at Umicore, we are a world leader in the production of automotive emission control catalysts. Our technologies enable on-road and non-road applications to meet environmental standards around the world. Our products have prevented billions of tons of harmful gases and particles being released into the atmosphere. To enable our customers to produce even cleaner engines we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing?
Automotive Catalyst (AC) is expected to significantly contribute to the 2030 RISE strategy of Umicore. The function holder will be responsible to transform today’s decentralised AC/Catalysis safety organisation into a more impacting team with shared accountability between the Business Units/sites. The focus is to define and implement a strategic and operational plan to change AC’s/Umicore’s safety culture, leading to a sustainable zero-accident work environment.
Main areas of responsibilities are:
- Lead the business unit in its transformation towards a caring and mature safety culture resulting in a zero-accident work environment
- Develop, organize and lead AC’s/Catalysis’s safety cultural change strategy:
- Translate the Group safety policies, guidelines and minimal safety behaviours into a defined occupational safety approach with standards (workplace risk assessment, safety trainings, engagement tours, work permits….) and guidelines
- Ensure that the BU/site safety management system is consistent with the Group’s approach and is effectively implemented
- Assess the performance of the different existing safety programs within the BU’s and sites; propose the way forward to accelerate the safety cultural change within AC/Catalysis
- Advise and challenge the AC/Catalysis management teams when drawing up their annual safety action plans and budgets
- Lead the implementation of this safety change program
- Lead and select didactical and impacting enablers (training material, communication tools, sharing of best practices…) driving the safety cultural change program of AC/Catalysis group
- Review and participate in Group EHS compliance audits; and follow up with local team corrective/improvement actions
- Create and maintain an internal and external safety network in view of continuously improving the safety performance. Monitor the technological changes which could help the efficiency of safety management systems, safety observation tours
You are an ideal candidate for us as you:
- Have a University degree in engineering, technology and/or psychology; a degree in occupational safety will be an advantage
- Have gained at least 10 years’ experience in occupational safety (preferably in “heavy industry” (dangerous and high hazard industries) like mining, metallurgy, oil & gas, chemicals, …)
- Have gathered at least 5 years’ experience in defining and implementation of change programs
- Possess good knowledge of safety regulation, industrial hazards and risk assessment
- Work result oriented, are self-driven and take decision
- Are capable of handling multiple issues and/or projects simultaneously and executing to completion and able to work in a demanding, high performance work environment
- Possess excellent collaboration, influencing, project management, organizational and change agent skills
- Can lead with excellence, possess excellent interpersonal skills and value team work
- Have very good communication and presentation skills (verbal and written)
- Have gained experience working with multi-cultural diverse teams
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organization, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits.
With all this and more, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?Apply