The most important questions and answers regarding careers and offerings for students at Umicore

Is it possible to complete a traineeship abroad?

A traineeship abroad is possible, but it must be coordinated through our headquarters in Brussels. Please obtain direct information on this Website.

Do you offer formal trainee programmes?

No, this is unfortunately not possible in Germany.

What working hour regulations apply to students doing a traineeship?

The weekly working hours are defined in the pay agreement of the German Industrial Union for Mining, Chemistry and Energy (Industriegewerkschaft Bergbau, Chemie, Energie) and amount to 37.5 hours a week.

In which university trade fairs does Umicore take part?

We are generally represented at a couple of events and fairs per year. Please check our event calendar – perhaps we will soon have an opportunity to meet personally on site.

Can I apply for a position if I cannot start at the specified point in time?

Yes. Specify the time period that is possible for you so that we can check whether your desired time period matches our requirement.

Can I also send in an unsolicited application?

Yes. At our job centre, you will find information about possible positions for an unsolicited application in the following areas: administration, technical professions, trades, natural sciences, IT and student positions.

Will my application be passed on to other divisions or locations?

No, that does not happen automatically. We check your application only at the location for which you have applied. The Human Resources Department at the Hanau location, however, checks which ones could have interest in your application.

What do I have to take into consideration in the application process?

Please apply through our online application portal. More important information on your application can be found at this link.

Which application documents do I submit?

Please send us the following documents:

  • Introductory letter with a specification of the time period for the traineeship and/or thesis
  • Résumé
  • School leaving certificate
  • Employer references, training and traineeship certificates
  • Current transcript
  • University/traineeship regulations
  • University registration certificate
  • Visa for foreign trainees
Whom should I contact in case of technical issues or problems in connection with my application?

Just contact the information e-mail address directly: human.resources.hanau@eu.umicore.com.