Associate Scientist Materials Modelling (m/f/d)
Corporate Research & Development
Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Corporate Research & Development
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life.
What you will be doing
In the challenging position as an Associate Scientist Materials Modelling you develop and apply modelling capabilities for describing and predicting materials properties and response phenomena at various time and length scales. You grow knowledge and expertise within the competence domain of (mesoscopic) modelling of materials’ microstructures and their relationship with macroscopic properties in order to execute one or several projects, typically within the framework of a research program for a business unit or the Chief Technology Officer organization. Specifically, this will include:
• Multiscale modelling (from atom to continuum) in the field of heterogeneous catalysis and battery materials to describe/predict material properties and reaction phenomena on different time and length scales
• Investigation of the relationships between secondary structures, material properties and aging processes
• Close cooperation with various experts from modelling and experimental research
• Participate in funding files in collaboration with the External Science and Technology Department as well as in study and patent filing in collaboration with Business Units and the Intellectual Property Department
Who we are looking for
• PhD in Physics, Chemistry or Materials Science, or equivalent through relevant research experience
• Professional experience in a comparable function
• Experience developing and applying mesoscale/microstructure-based modelling approaches (kinetic Monte Carlo, phase field, etc.)
• Familiarity with quantum chemistry calculations (DFT, MD, etc.) is an asset
• Knowledge of heterogeneous catalysis and/or battery materials is an asset
• Good networking and communication skills, able to proactively build functional relations inside and outside the company
• Customer intimacy skills to understand business unit strategy and priorities relevant to the project
• Functional leadership skills to guide a team towards successful execution of the project
• Strong in summarizing, reporting and presenting
• Fluent in English, both written and orally. Dutch, French, German, Korean, Japanese, Chinese capabilities are an asset
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If my research can help tackle some of the world’s most pressing challenges, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?
We look forward to receiving your application!
Please send your application to: www.umicore.de/de/karriere/
Umicore AG & Co. KG | Erik Steinbrecher | HR Hanau
Rodenbacher Chaussee 4 | 63457 Hanau-Wolfgang